JOB TITLE: Employment Counselor
REPORTS TO: Service Coordinator
LOCATION: Manhattan, NY
SUMMARY: Under supervision of the Employment Services Coordinator, the Employment Counselor assists participants in securing permanent employment opportunities through individual employment case management and facilitation of job readiness training for a 140 bed men’s homeless shelter.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies, outreaches and recruits’ eligible participants for specific program population.
- Conducts a thorough assessment of each participant’s education, work experience, skills, abilities, and qualifications to determine suitability for employment.
- Develops Individual Employment Plans for each program participant, outlining employment related needs/goals.
- Evaluates participant’s progress of planned goals and documents participants’ accomplishments.
- Provides intensive employment case management for each participant and provides linkages to a wide range of specialized and/or support services as needed.
- Work closely with each participant on the development of a resume and other documents required for employment. Assists participants with securing interview clothing, childcare and/or transportation.
- Plans, develops and facilitates pre-requisite training on job search and job readiness techniques to prepare participants for transition into employment.
- Works closely with each participant to identify and resolve problems/barriers that hinder employability. Works directly with the job development team to match participants to suitable employment opportunities.
- Provides post-employment services to program participants to build bridges to long term job retention.
- Uses a variety of methods to provide outreach that may include emails, home visits, phone calls, etc.
- Actively participates in staff and other meetings as required.
- Maintain accurate and up to date records on all program participants; prepares weekly/monthly reports and continuously collects, organizes and analyzes program data.
- Work closely with the Rapid Re-Housing Staff to ensure that qualified residents are accepted into the Housing program and provided with ongoing housing retention services.
- Participate in monthly team case conference meeting or as deemed appropriate
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s Degree and two years’ experience in casework, or employment and training programs, or Associate Degree and four years of relevant work experience. Ability to communicate effectively with people of all socioeconomic backgrounds; ability to identify participant needs and appropriate support services; ability to motivate program participants; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and ability to organize and prioritize work to be performed. Must have computer skills in word and excel. Must be available for evenings/weekend work.
AGENCY PROFILE & EMPLOYEE EXPECTATIONS:
Westhab is the premier organization of our kind in our region, providing housing and supportive services or more than 10,000 of the most vulnerable members of our community each year. We are staffed by an extraordinary group of hard working professionals that are fully committed to our mission – Building Communities. Changing Lives. Working at Westhab is not easy. Our expectations for all staff are high. We believe that the people and the communities that we have the privilege to serve deserve our very best every day. We are results-driven organization that focuses on empowerment and impact. If you want to apply for this opportunity, it should only be because expectations that come with joining this kind of team. (EOE)